When creating the front-end build tooling for VenueBook we needed a smarter build system that would watch for changes to partial SASS files and only compile the root SASS files that imported them.
- Study how node-sass’s watch command was implemented
- Find a library that could parse a sass file and return imports.
- Write software to keep a tree map of the relationships between all SASS files in our project.
- Leverage gulp watch stream to look up files in the tree to find their root parent files.
- One of my first introductions to streams which is what lead me to functional programming.
- Learned how to graph dependencies for quick lookups.
- Gained experience writing complex front-end build pipelines from scratch.